Thursday, June 23

San Diego Trip

At the beginning of June, the girls and I drove to San Diego with my family. They wanted to take one last trip before Saskia went back home to Germany. At first the plan was to go to Disneyland, but since Saskia went there a few months ago they decided to go somewhere she hadn't been.

We left on a Wednesday around 1:30 in the afternoon. I was nervous about how the babies would handle being in the car for that long, but they did AWESOME!! I sat in between them and was able to keep them happy most of the time. There were a few times they got fussy of course...they are babies. We stopped in St. George and had dinner and the girls enjoyed being out of their carseats for a while. As soon as it got dark they went to sleep and slept until we got to San Diego.

The resort we stayed at was gorgeous! There were rose bushes and flowers everywhere on the grounds. It was just so pretty. I wish I had taken some pictures! We had 2 separate rooms and there was a little bench outside in between our doors. My dad loved to sit out there with the babies. It was so cute.

We spent Thursday at Sea World. The weather was beautiful and we had a blast.

Wrigley lasted from the parking lot to the front gate in the stroller, then she was done. She just loves to be able to look around. I put her in the Baby Bjorn and she was happy. I got these little hats for the girls so they wouldn't get sunburned. The smallest size I could find anywhere was 3/6 months. They are pretty big on them!



We got to see the Dolphin and Killer Whale shows that day. The dolphin show was my favorite. It always is.
Because of the trainer that was killed recently, they don't let the trainers go in the water with the killer whales anymore. So sad. That show is really short now, and just not as good.

I don't normally nurse the girls. I pump and feed them from a bottle. But knowing that we were going to be at Sea World all day, I nursed them a few times the week before to make sure they would do it. They did fine, so I planned to nurse them at Sea World. I hadn't tried it with a nursing cover though and neither of them would nurse while we were there. I think they didn't like having something over them and it was also so hot under there. So I fed them formula.
The babies didn't have a good nap all day and I was getting super uncomfortable, so by 4:00 I was ready to be done. My dad drove the girls and me back to the hotel and then went back to Sea World. I pumped and then napped with the girls. The park closed at 6:00 so my family came back and wanted to go swimming. There were 4 different swimming pools at the resort, but only one of them was heated. We chose that one because we wanted to take the babies.



Wrigley was still asleep when everyone was ready to go, so I let Melinda wake her up. She wasn't happy about that and putting her in the pool just made it worse. She was so mad. Morley liked the pool though. She was mad when I took her out.

My mom and I took the girls back to the room, gave them a bath & put them to bed. Then we ordered pizza for dinner. The twins and I stayed in a room with Melinda, Saskia & Maggie. That night we were playing 20 questions on Melinda's Ipod and for some reason it was hilarious. We were trying to come up with things that we knew it couldn't guess.

On Friday morning we spent a couple hours at the beach. It was super windy and not very warm. Putting just our feet in the water was too much. It was so cold! So we buried Matthew in the sand.

The babies slept in their carseats the whole time, which I was glad about because they would not have liked the wind.


After we left the beach we went back to the hotel and everyone went swimming except Marshall and I. Marsh fed the girls for me while I took a shower and got ready, then we went and sat by the pool and put the babies feet in the water. Wrigley liked it a lot better that day. She just kicked her little feet around in the water.
After they were all done swimming, we drove downtown trying to find something to do. I found a place on the GPS called Seaport Village that sounded cool so we went to check it out. There were tons of little shops and restaurants right along the water and it ended up being a really fun place. We shopped for quite a while then went to Subway for dinner.

On Saturday morning we checked out of the hotel and then went back to Sea World for a couple hours. There was a show that we didn't get to see on Thursday that we wanted to see before we left. It was called Cirque de la Mer. It was so cool! We did some shopping for souvenirs and then started the long drive home.



It was a quick trip because my family was all heading to Lake Powell on Monday. But it was way fun and I'm so glad we were able to go.


Jaime Stephens said...

Looks like fun.. I'm impressed to see everything you did and everywhere you went with the babies nice work! They seemed to really enjoy the adventure.

Amy Nielson said...

Looks and sounds like lots of fun!! I didn't know that a trainer had been killed there recently. Sad. :(